Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Acorn Squash 101

I LOVE Acorn Squash.  I thought more people ate it and enjoyed it as much as we did until the lady at the grocery store quizzed me about how to cook it and what it tasted like.  So I thought I would do a quick little lesson on how to cook and really enjoy Acorn Squash.  It has a long cooking time, but is easy to prepare and perfect for any time of year!

Step 1:

DSC_0278

Choose your acorn squash.  We generally eat one half per adult.  I usually buy 2 and cook them all one night so we can just microwave the leftovers the second night.  Cut your squash in half, starting at the bottom end with a large kitchen knife.  The top is usually pretty tough to cut through, so if you start at the bottom and get most of the way through you can finish pulling it apart by hand.

Step 2:  Spoon all the “guts” out of your squash.  It should be nice and clean like the bottom picture when you are done.

DSC_0280

DSC_0284

Step 3: Place your squash cut side down in a lightly greased pan (can be glass or metal, doesn’t matter).  Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Then turn them over and cook another 20 minutes.

DSC_0286

Step 4: While squash is cooking, have your “assistant” take out EVERY piece of Tupperware that you own.  This is very important.

DSC_0281

Step 5: Remove from oven and top as you wish.  You can use butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, etc. (these have butter melting in them already – YUM!)

DSC_0292

And now a montage of brown sugary goodness!

DSC_0294

DSC_0300

(This is usually how I serve it.  I start to mush up the inside with my fork to get it started.  As you eat it, you’ll scrape the flesh from the inside of the rind and top with more brown sugar as you like!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails