I love Baked Ziti but never found a recipe that I liked or found easy enough to throw together for a meal. This one was in Family Circle Magazine and looked so yummy that we gave it a try. Winner for sure!
-2 Tbsp olive oil
-1 medium onion, chopped
-3 cloves garlic, sliced
-1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
-1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
-2 Tbsp tomato paste
-2 tsp sugar
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp black pepper
-1 can (14.5 oz) basil and oregano diced tomatoes, drained
-1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped (I substituted dried basil)
Ziti and Cheese:
-1 box (16 oz) ziti (I used the new smaller Ziti from Barilla and it was really great for my toddler)
-1 bag (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Sauce – Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Stir in whole tomatoes and their juice, breaking tomatoes apart with your hands or a wooden spoon. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat. Stir in diced tomatoes and basil.
4. Ziti and cheese – Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling. Add ziti; boil 10 minutes (or follow directions on box). Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add half the sauce to bowl with ziti. Stir to coat. Pour ziti mixture into prepared dish. Top with remaining sauce and then sprinkle with the cheeses.
5. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.