Friday, February 18, 2011

Mac and Cheese with Ham and Broccoli

I enjoy a good Mac and Cheese recipe.  But I just can’t justify it as the “main dish” for dinner without some substance to it.  Enter this yummy recipe that has endless variations.  This made a huge pan and lasted us 2 or 3 days.  I couldn’t find the smoked Gouda cheese so I used all cheddar.  Recipe from Southern Living Magazine.

Ingredients:

-1 pound uncooked corkscrew pasta (I used rotini)

-2 Tbsp butter

-1/4 cup all purpose flour

-3 cups fat-free milk

-1 (12 oz) can fat-free evaporated milk

-1 cup shredded smoked Gouda Cheese

-1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

-3 oz fat-free cream cheese, softened

-1/2 tsp salt

-1/4 tsp ground red pepper, divided (I used black pepper)

-1 (8 oz) package chopped smoked ham (couldn’t find the little squares so I got shredded lunch meat ham and it worked really well)

-1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed and coarsely chopped

-1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed (I used Rice Krispies because we had it on hand)

-1 Tbsp butter, melted

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare pasta according to package directions.

2.  Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp butter in a Dutch oven (or large stockpot) over medium heat.  Gradually whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.  Gradually whisk in milk and evaporated milk until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Whisk in Gouda cheese, next 3 ingredients, and 1/8 tsp ground pepper until smooth.  Remove from heat, and stir in ham, pasta, and broccoli.

3.  Pour pasta mixture into a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Stir together crushed cereal, 1 Tbsp melted butter, and remaining 1/8 tsp ground pepper; sprinkle over pasta mixture.

4.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.  Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving.

DSC_0037

DSC_0039



badge



Foodie Friday

Friday Favorites



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummmm, I can TOTALLY justify Mac 'n Cheese as the "main event"- ESPECIALLY with the recipe I use- it has 4 different types of cheeses and lots 'o butter...yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Melissa said...

We are big on Mac & Cheese in this house so I will definitely have to try this. Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hops. You can find me at:

http://thechroniclesofarookiemom.blogspot.com/

Have a great day! :-)

Melissa

Donna said...

I'm a new follower from Hop Along Friday. I'd love for you to visit my blog and follow back.

Donna
http://potofgoldgiveaways.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails