Monday, February 20, 2012

Stuffed Winter Squash

This is a recipe that I cut out of Family Circle magazine forever ago and had wanted to try but didn’t necessarily have the guts.  I don’t know – sometimes healthy recipes scare me because I’m not sure if my family will like them.  This one was a home run for sure.  My 3 year old ate it up without a word from me!  I actually substituted 1/2 cup rice for the bulgur wheat and 1 cup chicken broth with that. 

Ingredients:

-3 acorn squash, cut lengthwise and seeded

-1 Tbsp maple syrup (I just used pancake syrup on hand)

-1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

-2 tsp canola oil

-1 large onion, finely chopped

-1 large celery stalk, thinly sliced

-1 Granny Smith apple, cut into 1/4 inch cubes

-1/3 cup raisins, chopped (they suggest golden, I used what I had on hand)

-1/4 cup uncooked bulgur wheat (I used 1/2 cup uncooked rice)

-3/4 cup chicken broth (if using the rice, use 1 cup broth)

-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

-1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

1.  Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a jelly roll pan (15x10x1).  Brush cut surfaces and inside of acorn squash with maple syrup.  Arrange squash, cut-side down, on pan.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, until tender.

2.  Toast walnuts in nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring, 5 minutes or until golden.  Transfer to paper towel.

3.  Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and celery; sauté 3 minutes, until just tender.  Add apple, raisins, bulgur wheat, broth, cinnamon, and salt.  Cover; simmer 15 minutes, until bulgur is tender and liquid absorbed.  Stir in toasted walnuts.

4.  Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.  Flip squash cut-side up.  Fill with apple mixture.  Drizzle with 1 tablespoon syrup.  Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.  I sprinkled a little brown sugar on them before serving.

DSC_0470

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails