Saturday, December 12, 2009

English Muffin Bread

Before you skip over this because it says "bread," let me explain something. I do not make breads that you have to knead or roll out. If you can mix it and dump it in a pan, I'm in. This is the easiest bread recipe, but tastes like you've been slaving all day. It comes from the "Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook" - the red and white checked one that we all have. I have made this to bring to the sick, postpartum, and many many dinners. It gets rave reviews and people are amazed that I baked bread. Love it.

Ingredients:
Cornmeal
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

1. Grease two 8x4x2 inch loaf pans (found mine at Wal-Mart for cheap). Lightly sprinkle pans with enough cornmeal to coat bottom and sides; set pans aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, and baking soda; set aside. (I move it all to the sides to create a large "well" in the middle. Makes pouring the liquid into it much easier and less messy.)
In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, water, sugar, and salt just until warm - 120 to 130 degrees (I use my meat thermometer).
Using a wooden spoon, stir milk mixture into flour mixture. Stir in remaining flour.
3. Divide dough in half. Place dough in prepared pans. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 45 minutes).

I don't have a warm place in the house, plus I made this on a day it was 30 degrees out, so this is how I let my bread rise. I place a bowl of steaming hot water on the low rack in my oven, then place my bread pans on the top rack, cover them with a towel, close the oven door and let them sit. Since it was so cold, they were in there closer to 60 minutes.
Here is the before:
Here is the after:
4. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks.
Seriously, how could you pass this up?
To make it even yummier, each night we cut off a couple pieces each, butter them up, and put them on a foil-lined cookie sheet under the broiler. It takes about 5 minutes and they look like this:

Yum. Crunchy, buttery bread. You can't go wrong!
PS - Since this was my first recipe post, I need feedback! My husband thought I was crazy to take all these pictures while I was cooking, but I think it helps to see it. Thoughts?




1 comment:

Amber said...

I think I'll have to try this! I love easy recipes. Thanks for posting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails