Monday, December 28, 2009

Tutorial: Ribbon Clippies

I have terribly fine hair. So fine that I could never tie cute ribbons in it and most clips don't stay in. My husband, on the other hand, has luxurious, thick hair. Tons of it. As much as I hoped that my daughter would have lots of thick, pretty hair to put ribbons and bows in . . . alas, she inherited my fine, stick straight hair. For that reason, we have a very hard time finding any bows that will stay in. I finally found some and I made them myself and they are wonderful!!

Materials:
-Box of Clips (I found mine at Sally Beauty Supply - box of 100 for $5)
-Ribbon (3/8" works best for the clips I bought, but check your clips - it needs to be just a bit wider than your clip) - if you are doing this for fine haired children like mine, use the grossgrain ribbon with the ridges. If not, feel free to use anything at all!
-Hot glue gun

Seriously, how cute is this ribbon? It was all 50% off at Hobby Lobby the day I went so each spool was only $1.

Step 1: Cut about an 8 inch piece of ribbon. This gives you a little room to play. Basically, you are going to wrap the ribbon from the inside of the bottom of the clip, around the bottom of the clip, into the squeeze part of the clip, around the top of the clip, and around the inside of the top of the clip. You are just wrapping the entire clip with ribbon. I do a dry run first, and then start gluing. A little bit of hot glue goes a LONG way. Apply your glue to the ribbon because it won't stick if you apply it to the metal. Here is how I start . . .
. . . and this is how it looks when you have glued all the way around. Cut any excess ribbon before you glue your last piece. Be careful as you glue that any excess glue isn't gluing your clippie shut!
Step 2: I took another piece of ribbon and formed an S shape until I got this shape here:
This will be the bow on top. Once you get this piece the right length, cut your ribbon and glue in between each loop just in the middle. It will make a double layer bow and you want a little glue in between to keep it together.
Step 3: Cut a small piece of ribbon to go around the center of your bow piece and glue into place. Then glue your bow onto the top of the ribbon covered clippie.
Here is the final product:
I hope that all makes sense! There is another tutorial that is similar at Smashed Peas and Carrots. It has a variation on the theme. But they are super easy once you get the hang of it. Look at all the cute clippies I made in just a few minutes!
This isn't the best picture of either my daughter or the clippie, but it's the best I can do since she has gone to bed tonight.
These make great gifts! If you know me and are having a baby girl this year, you'll be getting some of these!
On a sidenote . . . while I am typing this, Mr. Naptime is hard at work painting our atrium and tomorrow we'll do the living room. Before and after pictures to come! Nothing like getting rid of a color that was never quite right (in the atrium) and warming up a boring white room (the living room) So excited!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails