Friday, July 30, 2010

“Alabama” Pulled Pork with White Barbecue Sauce

First, I have to thank you all for your support about my acne issue due to having children.  Sounds like a lot of you are dealing with the same thing.  Make sure you come back on Monday and I’ll tell my story and what I’ve been doing (so far successfully!) to clear it up.

I got this recipe from Cooking Light magazine about 3 years ago.  Being from the South, the hubs and I both LOVE pulled pork but hate that it takes hours and hours to cook down.  This is a great recipe that only takes about an hour of cook time.  My grandmother-in-law used to order pulled pork from a local place in South Carolina for Thanksgiving and Christmas to go with the turkey.  She has gone to be with the Lord now, but I made this the last couple times we were home and everyone said it tasted just like the stuff she used to get.  It’s become a family tradition.  The barbecue sauce is really different – very “Carolina” – vinegary and creamy.

Meal Planning:  Goes good with any vegetable side dish.  Served this time with Zucchini Fritters (recipe coming!)

Ingredients:

Sauce (may need to be doubled if serving several people):

-1/2 cup mayonnaise

-2 Tbsp white vinegar

-1 tsp freshly ground pepper

-1 tsp fresh lemon juice

Pork:

-1 1/4 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed

-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

-1/4 cup water

-3 Tbsp brown sugar

-2 tsp kosher salt

-3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

-1/2 tsp ground red pepper (I leave this out and it’s still good!)

-1/2 tsp chili powder

-1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions:

1.  To prepare sauce, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.  Cover and chill.

2.  To prepare pork, cut pork in half lengthwise; cut crosswise into 2.5” pieces.

3.  Combine apple cider vinegar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.  Add pork to pan. 

DSC_0572

Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. 

DSC_0574

Remove pork from cooking liquid; shred with 2 forks. 

DSC_0575

Place pork in a serving dish; pour cooking liquid over pork.  DSC_0576

This one gets better with time, too.  The longer it sits in the fridge with the cooking liquid on it, the yummier it gets!

DSC_0579I serve it over biscuits (either the refrigerated Pillsbury ones or the quick Bisquik ones from the box).  Here you can see the white barbecue sauce.  So good!




badge

New Friend Fridays

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my - that does look good! I'm sending my mom over right now (she's the cook in the family)!

I'm here from New Friend Friday - following you now!

Amy Walker said...

That looks yummy! I LOVE your header/title. That pretty much describes my life right now!!!! What am I going to do when she phases out of two naps???
I'm your newest follower from hop along friday
amy
www.thecheapandchoosy.com

Amy Walker said...

umm..just read your about me too and that describes my family exactly too. pretty neat.

furygirl3132 said...

Yum, that looks and sounds delicious, I loved pulled pork but this is a great new twist to it. Thanks for sharing!
I am a new follower from New Friend Friday, so glad to have found your blog and I look forward to reading more. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Eloise
Mommy2TwoGirls
http://mommy2twogirls.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

I'm leaving you an award on my blog!

Unknown said...

Such a cute and resourceful blog, I am now following!

www.thebabywholunches.blogspot.com

Dawn said...

adorable blog! I am your newest follower from Follow Me Friday! :)
dawn
http://flipoutmama.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails