Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cake Balls . . . Happy Birthday to Me!!

In honor of my birthday this Saturday, today we make yummy cake balls!  It’s the big 3-0 this year so we’ll need lots and lots and lots of cake balls. :)  I have a friend who makes these and I’ve never tried them but they always sounded good.  So I went and searched for recipes.  When I found that Paula Deen had one, well, I was sold.  These are really easy to make, although a little time consuming.  Brought these to work on my last day yesterday and they were devoured.  I wish they had a better name – I’m sure you can fill in the blanks with the comments brought on by this dessert.  But it is WORTH IT! 

Since it is my birthday, I’ll be taking the weekend off.  Which means no Home Tour.  I know, I stink.  If you haven’t seen the Home Tour yet, click on the link on the left sidebar for now.

Ingredients:

-1 (18.5 oz) package cake mix

-1 (16 oz) container prepared cake frosting

-6 to 8 oz of chocolate flavored bars for melting (in the baking aisle)

As far as flavors go, you can pick a million combinations.  I make Red Velvet cake with Cream Cheese icing and coated with white and milk chocolate.  Also made a batch of Yellow cake mix with Strawberry frosting.  Both were delicious! 

Directions:

1.  Prepare the cake mix according to directions on the box.  When cake is finished baking allow to cool for 30 to 45 minutes.

DSC_00672.  Crumble cake into a large bowl.  Paula recommends a stand mixer (which I don’t understand) but I used my itty bitty food processor.  It was perfect!  You want a fine consistency – think dirt-like with no lumps.

 DSC_0068 DSC_0069

Add the frosting and mix until well combined.  Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 3 hours or overnight.

3.  Line a baking tray with wax paper.  Use a melon baller (or your hands or a teaspoon) to form balls with the cake mixture.  Place on wax paper.  Place formed balls in the freezer for one hour.  (I just put mine in a glass bowl and they stuck so the wax paper is a good idea!)

DSC_0072 4.  Melt the chocolate in the microwave or using a double broiler per directions on the box.  Remove the balls from the freezer and dip in the chocolate.  I found the best method was to use a fork for the dipping and then a spatula to remove them from the fork onto a fresh sheet of wax paper.

5.  Place covered balls in the refrigerator until the chocolate coating is set.

DSC_0078

So, my hands were pretty red and gross from the Red Velvet cake, but I HAD to dip in right away and try one of each kind.  Excuse the messy hands – sometimes you just can’t wait!

DSC_0079 DSC_0083

Yes . . . they are as good as they look!  They are moist and delicious and so wonderful.  Enjoy!

DSC_0087



Favorite%2BThings%2BFridaybig%2Bbutton.jpg


badge

New Friend Fridays

8 comments:

Aimee said...

Happy 30!! I hope you have a great weekend! And those cake balls look insanely yummy! I'm a cake addict! :)

Chipper Chickie said...

I've always wanted to know how to make these! And, red velevet is my favorite! Thanks for sharing! Happy Birthday!

Jennifer S. said...

OMG these cake balls are brilliant! I am so going to make these!

so kikay said...

Happy Birthday! Those looks yummy!

I’m your newest follower =) happy friday


http://sokikay.blogspot.com/2010/07/fun-fun-fun_16.html

cheri said...

they look pretty yummy. i've never had one of these. save me some? :)

happy birthday :)

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

happy birthday! Those look delish and something you could probably do with kids?! :) Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! I just turned 30 last October...so far it hasn't been so bad. :)

Michelle F. said...

Happy Birthday! Those look so yummy! I am a new follower! Please check out my blog as well!

www.ftmommyferg.blogspot.com

Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails