Friday, January 8, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

My Northern friends and relatives may laugh at me, but to me . . . it's cold! We are in the teens with wind chills in the single digits. I lam a Native Texan and my blood is thin. It's true. When it's frigid outside, there is nothing better than a nice hot dinner in the oven. I love chicken pot pie - it has been my favorite dish since I was a kid. I find that many of the ones I've tried have whimpy sauces that just don't fit the bill. I finally found this recipe and it's so yummy. This is in the best cookbook, Pillsbury Dough Magic. I recommend this cookbook - recipes with biscuits, crescents, and doughs. Yum!

Ingredients:
-1 package of Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust, softened as directed on package
-1/3 c butter
-1/3 c chopped onion (I add some celery when I have it too)
-1/3 c flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-14 oz chicken broth
-1/2 c milk
-2.5 c shredded chicken (leftovers work great for this - it's about 2 or 3 chicken breasts)
-2 c frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (I typically don't remember to thaw them so you can put them in frozen too)

1. Heat oven to 425. Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for a two crust pie using a 9" glass pie plate.

2. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion (and celery); cook and stir 2 minutes or until tender. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.

3. Add chicken and mixed vegetables; mix well. (If veggies are frozen, cook for just a couple minutes for them to thaw). Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute**. Cut slits in several places in top crust.

4. Bake at 425 for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. If necessary, cover edge of crust with strips of foil during last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

**Sidenote - Don't let the pie crust intimidate you into not making this dish. I find that the refrigerated pie crusts are a little small so the first one should cover the bottom and sides of your plate - just smooth out the bubbles. For the top one, I rarely have enough to connect it to the bottom one, so I fold under the excess and flute the edges.


(A prime example of why you should cover the edges with foil!)
Such a great meal! Leftovers and quick and easy to heat up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails