Friday, January 8, 2010

Glazed Fall Vegetables

In my house, I have no problem getting my daughter to eat vegetables. She has never ever made a face at me or refused any of them. I do, however, have a hard time getting my husband to eat vegetables! I find that I need to hide them or get creative with them for him to eat them. When I saw this recipe in Southern Living in October, I figured he would go for it. It does involve Maple Syrup after all! This recipe goes great with the Chicken Pot Pie - they both cook at the same temperature too.

Ingredients:
-2 sweet potatoes (about 2 lb)
-1 medium size baking potato (about 8 oz)
-1 medium size acorn squash (about 2 lb)
-4 carrots, cut into 1/2" slices
- 1/3 c firmly packed brown sugar
-2 Tbsp maple syrup
-2 Tbsp melted butter
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 425. Peel sweet potatoes and baking potato; cut into 1 inch cubes. Halve, peel, and seed acorn squash; cut into 1 inch cubes. Combine potatoes, squash and carrots in a large bowl.
(For those with little ones that don't want them to have sugar yet, you can pull some of the uncooked vegetables out and set them aside. I put them in a little container and steam them in the microwave a little at a time for dinner. And as you can see, it can be done during naptime, hence the monitor!)

2. Stir together brown sugar, maple syrup, and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl; pour over vegetable mixture, and toss well. Pour into a lightly greased roasting pan (I used a 9x13 glass pan instead).
3. Bake at 425 for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, stirring every 20 minutes.




These are excellent! The sauce kind of goes to the bottom so make sure you scoop it up on top of the vegetables when you serve them! They have a great cinnamon taste with just a little sweet. So good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails