Saturday, January 2, 2010

Curried Fruit

When I first heard of Curried Fruit, I wanted to gag. I want nothing to do with curry. But my mother-in-law made it and it was WONDERFUL! Seems like it is a pretty southern dish, since I haven't really heard of it around here, only when we are in the Carolinas. It is SO good! Quick and easy - would be great for a brunch dish but we usually have it as a side dish. We had it with spaghetti last night and it was a winner! This comes from the First Methodist Church of Lincolnton, North Carolina cookbook (my grandmother's old church). Oh, and this is one of those dishes that gets better the longer it sits. I cooked it about 30 minutes ahead of dinner last night so it was still warm but had some time to soak up the juices. It'll be phenomenal tonight!

Ingredients:

-3/4 stick of butter
-1 c firmly packed brown sugar
-1 tsp curry powder (I use 1/2 tsp because I'm not that into curry and it is still good!)
-1 jar spiced apple rings (I can't find these, so I sliced up a couple of fresh apples)
-1 jar maraschino cherries, no stems
-1 (20 oz) can of each:
peach slices
pear halves
pineapple slices (or rings)

1. Combine butter, sugar, curry powder and bring to a boil. Drain the fruit; arrange in shallow 2 quart baking dish and pour hot sauce over it. Garnish with cherries.

2. Bake at 325 until it bubbles (about 30-40 minutes).

How can you pass this up??




(On a sidenote: Don't you love the new pictures? Such better quality with my new camera! I just couldn't stop taking pictures of all the yummy goodness).

And not everything I do can be completed during naptime. This is what I had crawling up my leg while trying to get the final pictures:


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails