Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bread and Butter Pickles

Thank you for allowing me some time to heal before getting back into this blog.  I’ve missed posting but needed the time.

There is nothing better in the summer than homemade Bread and Butter Pickles!  This is my Dad’s recipe.  It makes a good bunch to keep in the fridge and snack on over a month or so.

Ironically, I had a pickle incident last night.  As I was picking up the Tupperware container of pickles in the fridge, the lid was not on tight and it slipped and fell.  Nothing like pickle juice ALL OVER yourself, the floor, your child, your dog, etc.  It was a huge mess and a major disaster.  Yuck. 

Ingredients:

-Cucumbers (I use 3 large ones)

-Coarse salt

-2 cups sugar

-2 cups white vinegar

Directions:

1.  I am going off of using 3 cucumbers for this recipe.  It gives you a good bunch to keep in the fridge without having too many.  First, peel and cut your cucumbers.  I cut some thick and some thin so we have a nice mix but cut them the way you prefer.

DSC_0021

2.  Place cut cucumbers in a colander in the sink and salt heavily.  Let sit for 1 hour.

DSC_0022

3.  Rinse cucumbers and squeeze to remove excess water.  This is what makes them nice and crisp.

DSC_0027

DSC_0028

4.  Put 2 cups of vinegar in small saucepan over low heat.  (If you decide to use more or less cucumbers, the ratio is 1 cup sugar and 1 cup vinegar per 1.5 cucumbers).  Add 2 cups sugar in parts, dissolving completely after each addition.  I use a whisk to do this part.  I make sure that I can see the bottom of the saucepan each time before adding more sugar.  This is so important!  If your sugar is not completely dissolved, your cucumbers won’t taste right.

DSC_0031

5.  Place cucumbers in airtight container and pour vinegar mixture over them.  Let sit in the fridge overnight before tasting.  Can be stored up to one month.

DSC_0034

DSC_0035

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails